Undoubtedly, printer cartridges are expensive, such as the HP 122 Ink Cartridge that costs as high as $25. Although you can refill a printer cartridge with ink at a store. However, a cost-friendly and effective method or option is to refill the printer cartridge yourself. You only need a few things.
- A bottle of printer ink: You can order a printer ink on Amazon or you can visit a local computer store.
- A syringe: 1ml, 2ml or 4ml, but a 1ml syringe is recommended.
- A paper waste cloth: This will be used to clean the leaking inl
- Remove your printer cartridge from its compartment. When you check the sticker (usually white) covering the cartridge, you should see a black spot on it (See picture 1). There is a hole underneath the black spot. It is through this hole that the ink is injected into the printer cartridge.
- Pierce the black spot using a needle or peel off the white sticker to see the hole underneath.
- Use your syringe to draw the ink slowly and inject the ink through the hole into the cartridge (see picture 2).
- That’s all. However, read the tips listed below:
The following tips are useful when refilling your printer cartridge.
- The needle has a very small size. So if you draw in the ink very fast, you would be creating air-gaps. These air gaps are capable of blocking your ink cartridge. Ensure no air bubbles are present in the syringe before injecting the ink into the cartridge.
- This refilling process is a somewhat messy task. Hence, use a paper waste cloth or tissue paper to clean leaking ink drops.
- Avoid filling the cartridge at full capacity to prevent ink leakage. A near-capacity is recommended.
- After refilling the cartridge, leave to rest for 2-3 hours to allow the ink to settle at the bottom of the foam enclosed inside the cartridge.